Definition of jird in English:
A long-tailed burrowing rodent related to the gerbils, found in deserts and steppes from North Africa to China.
- Genus Meriones, family Muridae: several species, in particular M. unguiculatus, popular as a pet
- Popular names are Mongolian gerbil and clawed jird.
- Most bushy tail jirds welcome cage companions but they treat humans like part of their terrain to be explored.
- Male jirds naturally spend most of their time above ground and can be housed in a cage or tank.
From Berber (a)gherda.
Definition of jird in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.