noun (plural jitneys)North American • informal
- A bus or other vehicle carrying passengers for a low fare.More example sentences
- And if there were lots of roads, would they be used mostly to transport people by bus, by jitneys and by taxi, or by privately owned car as now?
- Let competing county buses and private jitneys ply bus stops for passengers.
- Some city associations might also provide public transit such as street cars, without excluding private alternatives such as vans and jitneys.
early 20th century (originally denoting a five-cent piece): of unknown origin.
More definitions of jitneyDefinition of jitney in:
- The British & World English dictionary