nounNorth American • informal
- 1Coffee.[ 1940s: of unknown origin]More example sentences
- In parts of Asia kopi luwak is a highly prized cup of joe made of coffee beans that can cost $150 per pound.
- You have to buy breakfast, and as was the case in World War II, you'll be getting just a regular cup of joe, no fancy coffee drinks.
- My take is that gelato is to ice cream what a mocha-caramel latte is to a cup of joe.
- 2An ordinary man: the average joe[ mid 19th century: nickname for the given name Joseph; compare with Joe Blow]More example sentences
- He travels the circuit, pretending to be an ordinary joe, and then cleans up on bets and prizes because he has a great rock-and-roll voice.
- Of course if just the ordinary joe wants to buy my script well, that's ok too.
- Hard to imagine an average joe worrying about retirement.
More definitions of joeDefinition of joe in:
- The British & World English dictionary