Definition of joe in English:
nounNorth American informal
[ 1940s: of unknown origin]
- In parts of Asia kopi luwak is a highly prized cup of joe made of coffee beans that can cost $150 per pound.
- You have to buy breakfast, and as was the case in World War II, you'll be getting just a regular cup of joe, no fancy coffee drinks.
- My take is that gelato is to ice cream what a mocha-caramel latte is to a cup of joe.
2An ordinary man: the average joe
[ mid 19th century: nickname for the given name Joseph; compare with Joe Blow]
More example sentences
- He travels the circuit, pretending to be an ordinary joe, and then cleans up on bets and prizes because he has a great rock-and-roll voice.
- Of course if just the ordinary joe wants to buy my script well, that's ok too.
- Hard to imagine an average joe worrying about retirement.
Definition of joe in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia