- 1North American A flat cornmeal cake typically baked or fried on a griddle.More example sentences
- Served with cooked grits and johnny cake (a type of bread), they are a popular breakfast food.
- Cornmeal and water or milk, cooked on a griddle, was called ‘johnny cake.’
- These early American corn breads, including the hoe cakes and johnny cake which attracted praise from Benjamin Franklin were griddle or hearth baked.
- 2 (johnny cake) Australian/New Zealand A small, thin unleavened wheat loaf baked in wood ashes.More example sentences
- I've tasted his johnny cakes, flour mixed with salt and water on a fence post and cooked on a sheet of galvanized iron, zinc curling off around the dough.
early 18th century: also referred to as journey cake, which may be the original form.
More definitions of johnnycakeDefinition of johnnycake in:
- The British & World English dictionary