- The two of them flew towards each other at breakneck speeds, like knights jousting.
- We do all the medieval arts like jousting and sparring, things of that nature.
- There is a medieval theme and entertainment including knights, jousting and brass bands.
- It speaks of jousts, tournaments, wizards, falconry, enchantresses, damsels in distress, wars, quests, and the code of chivalry.
- Along with their other accessories, the warriors' elaborate dress suggests that they brought both wealth and pageantry to combat, which Donnan likens to medieval jousts.
- Anne was once more pregnant but at the end of the month, alarmed by news of Henry's heavy fall at a joust, she gave premature birth to a dead son.
- Example sentences
- Adam gave his best angry glare at the jouster and they retreated.
- The transaction generated six pieces of paper, each as long as a jouster's lance.
- The practice arena was for the jousters and swordsmen.
adjust from early 17th century:
The notion of ‘bringing in close proximity’ is present in adjust. The source was the obsolete French verb adjuster, from Old French ajoster ‘to approximate’, based on Latin ad- ‘to’ and juxta ‘near’, source of words such as joust (Middle English) originally to ‘bring near to join battle’ and juxtapose (mid 19th century) ‘place near’.
Words that rhyme with joustFaust, frowst, oust, roust
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.