Definition of jump cut in English:
(In film or television) an abrupt transition from one scene to another.
- They stand alone, but can also be experienced as a lightning-quick montage of jumpcuts.
- Presented in black-and-white documentary-style, with jumpcuts and hand-held shots, the spot dissolves to quick cuts from Ryan's speech before the Trumbull County organization.
- Slick dramatic lighting and a varied, enjoyable color design smooth out the film's disjointing plot jump-cuts and occasional coincidences.
verb(jump-cut) [no object] Back to top
(In filmmaking or television) make an abrupt transition from one scene to another.
- In suspense scenes with multiple characters, we shouldn't have to jump cut to a brief expository discussion about ‘who's next’ to act as a finger string.
- Stone understands composition and action, and knows when to jump cut and when to hold on the moment.
- He lassoes one and we jump cut to Smith at night with a fire that has something cooking on a spit.
Definition of jump cut in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan