(Of a military campaign) begin: the air-attack phase will continue before the ground attack jumps off
More example sentences
- The attack jumped off at Honnef, 10 April.
- The First Infantry Division attack jumped off at 0600.
- The mines were cleared without casualty, and the Marine assault jumped off at 1000.
A deciding round in a show-jumping competition.
- Out of the starting field, only six horse-and-rider combinations went clear in the first round to qualify for the jump-off.
- One penalty point separated gold medalists Germany from Switzerland in the equestrian team showjumping, while Brazil beat France in a jump-off for the bronze.
- In the jump-off, riders compete against the clock, as well as the course.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.