Definition of junction in English:
1A point where two or more things are joined: the junction of the two rivers
More example sentences
- The cells were surrounded by a basal lamina and joined by primitive junctions.
- Adjacent cells are joined together at the junction of oppositely oriented elevations which have a small spine at the tip.
- Immediately beyond is a junction with another stream joining from the left from Wisdom Tooth Passage.
1.1A place where two or more roads or railroad lines meet.
- A further measure to enhance road safety in this area would be to extend the double yellow lines from the junction of Manor Road down to High Fold Lane.
- Bikes have their own lanes, traffic lights at junctions and dedicated road signs.
- Work is already underway on the site of the former Railway pub at the junction of Leigh Road and Lovers Lane at Howe Bridge.
2 Electronics A region of transition in a semiconductor between a part where conduction is mainly by electrons and a part where it is mainly by holes.
- This quantum mechanical tunneling process is an important mechanism for thin barriers such as those in metal-semiconductor junctions on highly-doped semiconductors.
- These junctions can be made atomically sharp and defect free, allowing for the production of high performance electronics integrated within each single nanostructure.
- Example sentences
- Cells are attached to adjacent cells by junctional complexes in the lateral membranes, and form a polarized epithelium.
- Melanomas can be junctional, intradermal, or compound according to whether they grow in the basal layer of the skin, in the true skin or in both.
- The folding increases junctional surface area by 10 to 20 times, decreasing the stress per unit area.
Words that rhyme with junctioncompunction, conjunction, dysfunction, expunction, function, malfunction, multifunction, unction
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.