An evergreen shrub or small tree that bears berrylike cones, widely distributed throughout Eurasia and North America. Many kinds have aromatic cones or foliage.
- Genus Juniperus, family Cupressaceae: many species, including the shrubby common juniper (J. communis), the berries of which are used for flavoring gin
More example sentences
- The sun shone through the trees - red firs, junipers, lodgepole pines, aspens, and mountain hemlocks.
- Conifers come into their own here, as they can withstand the exposure; spruce, fir, junipers and yew dominate the planting.
- Winter birds prefer evergreens like holly and junipers, which provide shelter and food.
late Middle English: from Latin juniperus.
Definition of juniper in:
- The British & World English dictionary