- 1The official power to make legal decisions and judgments: federal courts had no jurisdiction over the case the District of Columbia was placed under the jurisdiction of CongressMore example sentences
- And nor should it exclude the jurisdiction of any other state that gives its courts universal jurisdiction over international crimes.
- Turkey officials waved jurisdiction of the case because it did not involve any Turkish nationals, Edmonson said.
- As mayor of Los Angeles, Riordan had no official role or any jurisdiction over city schools.
- 1.1The extent of the power to make legal decisions and judgments: the claim will be within the jurisdiction of the industrial tribunalMore example sentences
- Nor can it effectively do justice in the individual case within the limits of its jurisdiction and to that extent vindicate the rule of law.
- The act must be one committed within the jurisdiction by the alleged tortfeasor, not the victim.
- The procuring must occur within the jurisdiction although the sexual intercourse may occur outside the jurisdiction.
- 1.2A system of law courts; a judicature: in some jurisdictions there is a mandatory death sentence for murderMore example sentences
- The provision limiting comment accords with the present law in those jurisdictions where judicial comment may be made.
- The judicial system resembles that of other common law jurisdictions.
- As a result the common law courts still remain more distant from the merits than the administrative law courts of continental jurisdictions.
- 1.3The territory or sphere of activity over which the legal authority of a court or other institution extends: several different tax jurisdictionsMore example sentences
- In other words, can they engage in legal economic activity in a jurisdiction where prostitution is legal?
- While referring to the laws of other jurisdictions, US courts have given them short shrift.
- There is no legislation of South Australia which says that courts of other jurisdictions may not sit in South Australia.
- More example sentences
- These other international law jurisdictional doctrines seemingly have little relevance to Article XX.
- First, it changed its jurisdictional claim from a jurisdiction over land, to one over people.
- But it is still in the jurisdictional capacity of the High Court, if I understand how it works.
Middle English: from Old French jurediction, from Latin jurisdictio(n-), from jus, jur- 'law' + dictio 'saying' (from dicere 'say').