1Make or keep young or youthful; arrest the development of.
- Ours is a society, Mintz explains, that isolates and juvenilizes young people more than ever before; they spend much less time with adults who can model and explain the ‘realities’ to them.
- There is some evidence that MF may have a role in larval development by acting as a hormone that retards development (a juvenilizing factor).
- Retinoic acid, a retinoid known to regulate vertebrate morphogenesis, has also been found by Nemec et al. to have juvenilizing effects on developing insects and to stimulate vitellogenesis and egg deposition.
1.1 (as adjective juvenilized) Entomology (Of an insect or part of one) having a juvenile appearance or physiology; showing arrested or reversed development.
- This resulted in 86% and 92% pupae, respectively, juvenilized to such an extent that eventually no offspring could be produced.
- In rare cases (0.8%), it developed into a juvenilized pupa.
Definition of juvenilize in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.