Definition of kaftan in English:
1A man’s long belted tunic, worn in countries of the Near East.
- Today's tops borrow heavily from Indian high fashion, with long tunics and caftans all prettied up with sequins.
- Although Bolton surveys the history of such clothing - togas, kimonos, sarongs, caftans, kilts, and so on - the show focuses mainly on contemporary designers and fashion houses inspired by gender-bending ideas.
- This passion helped the export of prized Kashmir woollen caftans and shawls to various countries.
1.1A woman’s long loose dress.
- Try to keep to your typical style of dress, but only slightly flowier - we are not talking caftans or muumuus!
- No, sensibly and sensationally, they float about in beautiful saris, djellabahs and caftans, looking very stylishly dressed.
- Sunset cocktail dresses, tropical disco pants, neon kaftans, bikinis, all laced with glamour.
1.2A loose shirt or top.
- Upon arrival we were greeted by the usual sway of scarves, kaftans and generally tie-died attire that surrounds these types of festivals.
- With saris, kaftans and a range of Indo-Western outfits, this Fourth Umpire's look is far from sporty.
- Wear a kaftan top over a sunburst swimsuit or a linen sequin skirt scattered with sparkling sequins.
Words that rhyme with kaftanAnshan • gratin • suntan
Definition of kaftan in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.