Definition of kakapo in English:
noun (plural kakapos)
A large flightless New Zealand parrot with greenish plumage. Now endangered, it is nocturnal and ground-dwelling. Also called owl parrot.
- Strigops habroptilus, family Psittacidae
- The kakapo, a flightless bird, was particularly vulnerable to predators.
- Among its treasure trove of fauna, New Zealand has other unique species such as the nocturnal, flightless kakapo, the world's largest parrot, of which only 83 remain.
- From Luke comes news of the ovipository feats of the world's rarest parrot, the kakapo.
mid 19th century: from Maori, literally 'night kaka'.
Definition of kakapo in:
- British & World English dictionary