Definition of kappa in English:
1The tenth letter of the Greek alphabet (Κ, κ), transliterated in the traditional Latin style as ‘c’ (as in Socrates) or in the modern style as ‘k’ (as in kyanite and in the etymologies of this dictionary).
- It was initially adopted by the Greeks as koppa, to represent /k/ before a back vowel; but classical Greek preferred the letter kappa, the ancestor of K, and koppa fell into disuse.
- The text begins midsentence and continues with an enlarged marginal letter kappa on line 3.
- Greek proper names and placenames containing kappa are often written in English with "c" due to contemporary rendering into the Latin alphabet by ancient Romans.
1.2 [as modifier] Biochemistry Denoting one of the two types of light polypeptide chain present in all immunoglobulin molecules (the other being lambda).
- The NK1, kappa opioid, and CCRS receptors all have an amino acid composition similar to rhodopsin near the conserved Pro.
- Activation of kappa receptors blocked the induction of UP at the perforant-path synapses and this blockage can be reversed by naloxone 23.
- Fewer extra residues are needed for the light chain, possibly due to the higher initial homology between the mouse and human kappa variable regions.
Words that rhyme with kappaclapper, dapper, flapper, grappa, knapper, mapper, nappa, napper, rapper, sapper, scrapper, snapper, strapper, tapper, trapper, wrapper, yapper, Zappa
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.