noun (plural same or Karakalpaks)
1A member of an indigenous people living in the Karakalpak Autonomous Republic of Russia, south of the Aral Sea.
- The Karakalpaks, who live in the desert south of the Aral Sea, have a separate language and tradition more akin to Kazakh than Uzbek.
- The next step was to assemble some 40 international musicians and set up a plan that would bring the unfamiliar music of Afghans, Karakalpaks, Kazakhs, Turkmens, and other Silk Road cultures to audiences everywhere.
- Dating is rare among the Karakalpaks, except for those living in large cities such as Nukus.
Relating to the Karakalpak or their language.
- Newspapers, magazines, and books are printed in the Karakalpak language.
- The Karakalpak tribes have not taken up arms since the Basmachi revolts on their territory in 1918-1920.
- A similar picture prevails in the Karakalpak part of the Aral Sea basin, where the Muinak fish cannery continues to operate on imported ocean fish of low grade.
Definition of Karakalpak in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.