Definition of kedgeree in English:
1An Indian dish consisting chiefly of rice, lentils, onions, and eggs.
- The rice is combined with vegetables or meat to make the popular pilaus or pilafs, birianis or kedgerees, which the British imported from India and these days are seen on menus in many restaurants in Britain.
- During the 19th century, a wide range of beers, would have been sent out from Britain to our soldiers and administrators in India to be consumed alongside curries, kedgerees and spicy foods.
- This is far from your average Indian cookbook with over 130 recipes including Mustard-Flavoured Tandoori-Style King Prawns with Saffron Kedgeree.
2A European dish consisting chiefly of fish, rice, and hard-boiled eggs.
- Some dishes are British, like the delicious kedgeree (a Scottish dish of rice and fish)
- Instead of dumbing himself down, Hix wants to smarten us up, giving us the confidence to cook something more ambitious than kedgeree or fish pie (although recipes for both are included).
- The book aims to to initiate the French into the delights of kedgeree, welsh rarebit, sticky toffee and Christmas puddings.
Words that rhyme with kedgereeMarjorie • gingery
Definition of kedgeree in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan