- 1A tropical plant of the mallow family that yields a jutelike fiber.
More example sentences
- Hibiscus cannabinus, family Malvaceae
- Hemp and other fiber-producing plants as kenaf and sawgrass are currently being investigated as potential building products.
- Southern pine trees can take years to reach harvestable size, while kenaf reaches a mature height of 12 to 118 feet over its five-month growing season.
- The answer to our problems is not more mechanized farming to grow kenaf or hemp.
- 1.1The brown fiber of the kenaf plant, used to make paper, ropes, and coarse cloth.More example sentences
- Many large companies are using kenaf and kenaf / wood blends for annual reports as a way of greening up operations, but it's still a struggle to establish a market for non-wood paper.
- Beyond agricultural waste, hemp, kenaf and other well-known fibers, there are a host of other raw materials that show considerable promise as non-wood resources.
- Both hemp and kenaf offer excellent possibilities for use as a virgin fiber replacement in newsprint, which tends to carry a high recycled content.
late 19th century: from Persian, variant of kanab 'hemp'.
More definitions of kenafDefinition of kenaf in:
- The British & World English dictionary