Definition of kentia palm in English:
An Australasian palm tree that is popular as a houseplant while it is young.
- Howeia (or Howea) forsteriana (formerly Kentia forsteriana), family Palmae
- Also worth a try are Howea forsteriana, the quick-growing kentia or paradise palm, and the Lacy tree philodendron, P. selloum, which has ruffled-edged leaves on two foot long arching stalks.
- When you're swinging from a hammock and grilling shrimp on a private deck tucked into a forest of banyan trees and kentia palms, it's hard to imagine life beyond Lord Howe Island.
- So it was inevitable that when Greg and wife Maria moved to coastal Southern California - where the climate is mild enough for kentia palms and plumerias - he seized the opportunity to create his own backyard resort.
Late 19th century: modern Latin, named after William Kent (died 1828), botanical collector.
Definition of kentia palm in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan