(also chiefly British kerosine)
nounchiefly North American
- A light fuel oil obtained by distilling petroleum, used especially in jet engines and domestic heaters and lamps and as a cleaning solvent.More example sentences
- Do not use kerosene or fuel oil emulsions as they can cause undesirable flavors in fish.
- The refinery is the nation's largest producer of gasoline, kerosene and other refined products.
- In the land of oil, they have to queue five hours a day to get kerosene or petrol.
mid 19th century: from Greek kēros 'wax' (because the solid form of paraffin is waxlike) + -ene.
More definitions of keroseneDefinition of kerosene in:
- The British & World English dictionary