Definition of kestrel in English:
A small falcon that hovers with rapidly beating wings while searching for prey on the ground.
- Genus Falco, family Falconidae: several species, in particular the common kestrel (F. tinnunculus) of Eurasia and Africa, and the American kestrel (F. sparverius)
- Children were thrilled to be able to stroke a beautiful barn owl, while an enormous eagle owl, a tawny owl, a kestrel and a turkey vulture called George looked on.
- Biologists live-captured dozens of owls, kestrels, hawks and peregrine falcons, which might have fed on poisoned rats, and temporarily held them in captivity.
- After owls, U.K. government figures identify kestrels, common buzzards, and peregrine falcons as other raptors most likely to end up as roadkill.
Late Middle English castrel, perhaps from casserelle, dialect variant of Old French crecerelle, perhaps imitative of its call.
Words that rhyme with kestrelancestral, orchestral
Definition of kestrel in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan