(also catsup /ˈkeCHəp, ˈkaCHəp, ˈkatsəp/)
- A spicy sauce made chiefly from tomatoes and vinegar, used as a condiment.More example sentences
- Dip the fish and chips into the tomato ketchup and tartare sauce as desired.
- I helped myself to sachets of ketchup and tartare sauce and tucked into my fish.
- The tables were neatly set, each with clean bottles of tomato ketchup, HP sauce and vinegar.
late 17th century: perhaps from Chinese (Cantonese dialect) k'ē chap 'tomato juice'.
More definitions of ketchupDefinition of ketchup in:
- The British & World English dictionary