Definition of keynote in English:
1A prevailing tone or central theme, typically one set or introduced at the start of a conference: individuality is the keynote of the Nineties [as modifier]: he delivered the keynote address at the launch
More example sentences
- The keynote for the tone of the series was a credible representation of the lives of its three central characters.
- There were keynote addresses, and smaller seminars and workshops.
- An estimated 10,000 to 20,000 participated in the demonstration while the prime minister was delivering his annual keynote economic speech.
2 Music The note on which a key is based.
- They also should be able to sing the keynote of a tonal pattern or song presented by the teacher.
- Studies of tonality have shown that listeners agree on the keynote of a musical excerpt and that the listeners in turn agree with the composer.
- All three forms have in common the flattened third scale degree, producing a characteristic minor 3rd with the keynote.
- 1keynoter noun
- Example sentences
- ‘Change is Inevitable: Growth is Optional’ will be the topic of discussion for this keynoter, who is a former camper and counselor.
- I'm appalled that the Republican party would use as its keynoter someone who was once a proud segregationist.
- I had ample opportunity to depart from my prepared texts during five workshops to sound a note discordant from the previous keynoters.
Words that rhyme with keynoteendnote • woodnote
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.