1A word or concept of great significance: homes and jobs are the keywords in the campaign
More example sentences
- The narrative text is quite brief but is well-written and liberally marked up with bold text to identify keywords and key concepts.
- My style is to read the stuff, make a mental list of keywords to remind me of what to talk about, then wing it.
- Secrecy was a keyword in their job, and Byron knew his partner assumed, from the terse explanation, that something unforeseen had happened.
1.1A word that acts as the key to a cipher or code.
1.2An informative word used in an information retrieval system to indicate the content of a document.
- What's interesting about the idea of an anonymous e-mail search engine is that you could search on content keywords and probably get your mail without even remembering your account name.
- The goal is to rapidly retrieve relevant information by applying Boolean logic to keywords and searching databases optimized for textual storage and retrieval.
- Filtering systems generally search for keywords on web pages or e-mails, examine images to identify human skin tones, and monitor domain names and server addresses to screen out those considered unsavoury.
1.3A significant word mentioned in an index.
- There were 982 peer reviewed papers indexed by ISI with keywords climate change in the last ten years, till 2003.
- To look up something you wanted, you had to search for the keyword in the index volumes, go to the Micropaedia for a summary of the entries, decide on the ones that seem to have the answers, and then read the relevant volumes of the Macropaedia.
- Most essays are followed by a short bibliography, and there is a seven-page keyword and person index.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of keyword in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.