(also killdeer plover)
Definition of killdeer in English:
A widespread American plover with a plaintive call that resembles its name.
- Charadrius vociferus, family Charadriidae
- However, there were plenty of resident shorebirds hanging out in the lagoon as well, such as the American coot, killdeer, and American avocet.
- Mallards, ring-necked ducks, killdeer, marbled godwits, and peregrine falcons settle in for the fall.
- In addition, killdeer, pipits and some shorebirds visit the grassy areas of landfills.
mid 18th century: imitative of its call.
Definition of killdeer in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan