Definition of killing in English:
An act of causing death, especially deliberately.
- The village of Murma is in shock over the brutal killings of two young boys by their teacher.
- The brutal killings, many of which were committed using knives and swords, had begun.
- Officers at the scene said it was one of the most brutal killings they had ever seen.
adjectiveBack to top
1Causing death: [in combination]: weed-killing
More example sentences
- Most are fighting chickens he breeds for death in the killing pits across the state line in Louisiana.
- This killing stock transmits death to the branches upon it.
- Cancer is one of the four big killing diseases in childhood; after leukaemia, tumours of the central nervous system are the most common cancers in childhood.
1.1 informal Exhausting; unbearable: the suspense will be killing
More example sentences
- Fatigue is the killing weight of expectation; and that burden is another good reason for fearing the worst.
- DH is the supervisor of the maintenance area and is having problems keeping people, and the killing schedule is a big part of the reason.
- Sounds like a killing timetable dear - try to take care of yourself in all this!
make a killing
- Have a great financial success: they’re a safe investment, you can make a killing overnightMore example sentences
- The companies and financial advisers involved made a killing from selling these policies - until the consequences began to come to light.
- If a 14-year-old with a Net connection could move markets and make a killing, all that supposed training and experience of financial analysts was an elaborate fiction.
- In the short term, anybody with a view to making a killing will be disappointed.
- Example sentences
- The story gives us one killingly funny observation after another: ‘Parker and his graduate student colleagues liked to theorize about the real world.’
- It seems a strange role for him, very British in its humour and, on the page at least, killingly unfunny.
- To my mind, Alan's film is daring, experimental, ballsy - it's something new, for Christ's sake, new! - and killingly funny.
Words that rhyme with killingdeskilling, filling, grilling, Pilling, quilling, Schilling, self-fulfilling, shilling, Trilling, unfulfilling, willing
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.