A school or class that prepares children for first grade. A child in kindergarten is typically 5 or 6 years old.
More example sentences
- In North America, kindergartens are often found in large buildings, typically in the same building as primary grades.
- His dream was finally realized when the state mandated the existence of public school kindergartens in every school district.
- Little Johnny was in his kindergarten class when the teacher asked the children what their fathers did for a living.
mid 19th century: from German, literally 'children's garden'.
- More example sentences
- The diminished status of the language specialist is acknowledged in the following comment from an ELA teacher who works with kindergartners.
- These stories outline the basic requirements for kindergartners through high schoolers, as well as for school athletes and college students.
- With the exception of one student, all, including my kindergartners, became competent readers in Spanish.
Pronunciation: /-ˌɡärtnər, -ˌɡärd-/(also kindergartner) noun