noun (plural same)
1A member of an indigenous people of central Asia, living chiefly in Kyrgyzstan.
- In fact, the Kirghiz were one of the first groups of Afghan refugees to seek a haven in that country.
- And the interdependence of the Kirghiz and Wakhi has increased, alongside trade with the rest of Afghanistan.
- The ancient Kyrgyz were part of strong nomadic tribal unions, which proved to be a serious distress to China.
Relating to the Kirghiz or their language.
- Dressed in ill-fitting Kyrgyz army fatigues - their clothes are in tatters and they have lost all their gear - the climbers appear on Kyrgyzstan's state-run TV.
- A few weeks later, just after my Outside story went to press, there was startling news from Kyrgyzstan: Sharipov survived the fall and was captured by Kyrgyz soldiers.
- Rakitin earlier said that several Kyrgyz citizens who witnessed the killings testified that the gunman was tall and had red hair, a description that bears little resemblance to Ivankov.
The name in Kirghiz.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of Kirghiz in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.