Definition of kiskadee in English:
A large tyrant flycatcher with a black-and-white-striped head and bright yellow breast, found mainly in tropical America.
- The greater kiskadee (Pitangus sulphuratus) and the lesser kiskadee (Philohydor lictor), family Tyrannidae
- A member of the flycatcher family, the kiskadee was introduced into Bermuda in the 1950s and is now a year-round resident.
- The bright, lemon yellow great kiskadee, found in abundance, was introduced in the 1950s and is both easy to spot and easy to hear.
- I can't decide whether wild chickens should be as unremarkable as kiskadees or cockroaches, or whether they bring a somewhat third world ambiance to the Island and would be better rounded up and made into a nice curry.
late 19th century: imitative of its call.
Definition of kiskadee in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia