noun (plural same or Klamaths)
1A member of an American Indian people of southern Oregon and northern California.
- The foundation's $115,000 grant will help the Klamath to develop a restoration plan for managing the vast forest.
- Decades later, the Klamath, 3,400 strong, have recovered their official status and are quietly negotiating for a partial return of their lands, which are rich with ponderosa pine.
- The Klamath River, which snakes from Oregon into northern California, is central to the religion, philosophy and daily lives of the river's four tribes: the Karuk, Yurok, Hoopa and Klamath.
Relating to the Klamath or their language.
- They have denied me my birthright,’ said Gail Hatcher of the Klamath tribe.
- The agreement is believed to open a new window of opportunity, according to a spokesman for the Klamath tribes.
From the Chinook name łámał 'those of the river'.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of Klamath in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.