Definition of knuckleball in English:
A slow pitch that has virtually no spin and moves erratically, typically made by releasing the ball from between the thumb and the knuckles of the first joints of the index and middle finger.
- He had pitched in high school and occasionally had thrown a knuckleball.
- Eddie Cicotte is thought to be the first major league pitcher to specialize in throwing the knuckleball.
- Sauveur throws a fastball, knuckleball, curveball and cutter, and he changes speeds with all of them.
- Example sentences
- He was a knuckleballer and may be the last pitcher to start both games of a doubleheader.
- As a knuckleballer, Sparks could prove invaluable because he'll be available to pitch more often.
- Unlike many knuckleballers, Wakefield never tried pitching conventionally.
Definition of knuckleball in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.