noun (plural same)
- An antelope with a reddish coat and lyre-shaped horns, found on the savannas of southern Africa.
More example sentences
- Kobus kob, family Bovidae
- Other such hosts include the large buffalo, Syncerus caffer (which is not the domesticated water buffalo), wildebeest, waterbuck, impala, kob and quite small-bodied duikers.
- Animal populations have plummeted, and many larger mammals such as giraffes, striped hyenas, western kob, bushbuck and sitatunga are now considered extinct in the area around the lake.
- Similarly, Kobus kob, occupy leks when in open habitat at high population density, but they defend larger territories or occupy home ranges at low density.
late 18th century: from Wolof kooba.
Entry from British & World English dictionary
noun (plural same)South African
early 20th century: abbreviation of kabeljou, with anglicization of the vowel.