Definition of koine in English:
1The common language of the Greeks from the close of the classical period to the Byzantine era.
- Church services are conducted in koine, a later form of ancient Greek in which the New Testament is written.
- Where are you getting the character guide for transliteration of koine?
- What is the significance of a set of terms appropriated into English from a Latin-speaking Church hierarchy, describing events written down in koine by four men, one of whom was actually a native Greek speaker?
1.1A common language shared by various peoples; a lingua franca.
- By the early eighteenth century, American varieties of English, extraterritorial immigrant koines, began to emerge in several regions.
- The international koine bound this group together through visual channels; its lack of cultural affiliation and emphasis on hybrid royal iconography made it the logical expression of a brotherhood of kings.
- Altogether, the display of such diverse objects within a single gallery might have offered an opportunity to evaluate the artistic koine that has been noted in luxury arts of the eastern Mediterranean.
late 19th century: from Greek koinē (dialektos) 'common (language)'.
Definition of koine in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia