Definition of koine in English:
1The common language of the Greeks from the close of the classical period to the Byzantine era.
- Church services are conducted in koine, a later form of ancient Greek in which the New Testament is written.
- Where are you getting the character guide for transliteration of koine?
- What is the significance of a set of terms appropriated into English from a Latin-speaking Church hierarchy, describing events written down in koine by four men, one of whom was actually a native Greek speaker?
1.1A common language shared by various peoples; a lingua franca.
- By the early eighteenth century, American varieties of English, extraterritorial immigrant koines, began to emerge in several regions.
- The international koine bound this group together through visual channels; its lack of cultural affiliation and emphasis on hybrid royal iconography made it the logical expression of a brotherhood of kings.
- Altogether, the display of such diverse objects within a single gallery might have offered an opportunity to evaluate the artistic koine that has been noted in luxury arts of the eastern Mediterranean.
Late 19th century: from Greek koinē (dialektos) 'common (language)'.
Definition of koine in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.