Definition of kolinsky in English:
noun (plural kolinskies)
1A dark brown weasel with a bushy tail, found from Siberia to Japan.
- Mustela sibirica, family Mustelidae. Alternative name: Siberian weasel
- Among these is the kolinsky, also known as the yellow weasel, red sable, tartar sable, or China mink.
- The Siberian weasel also known as the Siberian mink or kolinsky is the most common among Asian mustelids.
- A study of wild populations in Japan showed that the average longevity of Siberian weasels was about 2.1 years.
1.1The fur of the kolinsky.
mid 19th century: from the place name Kola, a port in northwestern Russia, + the pseudo-Russian ending -insky.
Definition of kolinsky in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia