- A very large Australasian kingfisher that feeds on terrestrial prey such as reptiles and birds.
More example sentences
- Genus Dacelo, family Alcedinidae: two species, the laughing kookaburra (D. gigas or D. novaeguineae), which has a loud cackling call, and the blue-winged kookaburra (D. leachii)
- Here and there the raucous laughter of the kookaburra seemed to mock our attempt.
- A kookaburra flies between the clusters of trees with buoyant, floating wing beats.
- The yammering kookaburra, usually so talkative, was silent, for he too was fast asleep.
late 19th century: from Wiradhuri gugubarra.
More definitions of kookaburraDefinition of kookaburra in:
- The British & World English dictionary