Definition of kookaburra in English:
A very large Australasian kingfisher that feeds on terrestrial prey such as reptiles and birds.
- Genus Dacelo, family Alcedinidae: two species, the laughing kookaburra (D. gigas or D. novaeguineae), which has a loud cackling call, and the blue-winged kookaburra (D. leachii)
- Here and there the raucous laughter of the kookaburra seemed to mock our attempt.
- A kookaburra flies between the clusters of trees with buoyant, floating wing beats.
- The yammering kookaburra, usually so talkative, was silent, for he too was fast asleep.
late 19th century: from Wiradhuri gugubarra.
Definition of kookaburra in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan