(also kumiss or kumis)
- A drink made from fermented mare’s milk, used also as a medicine by Asian nomads.More example sentences
- Australia's Parliamentary Secretary for Foreign Affairs, Chris Gallus, is heading out from the capital, Ulaanbaatar, to see a farming family and sample the traditional Mongolian drink, koumiss or fermented mare's milk.
- Some scientists think that yoghurt's predecessor was a fermented milk drink called ‘kumis’.
- Examples of traditional Kyrgyz food include manti (mutton dumplings), irikat (a type of pasta salad made with noodles, carrots, and radishes), and koumiss (fermented mare's milk).
late 16th century: based on Tartar kumiz.
More definitions of koumissDefinition of koumiss in:
- The British & World English dictionary