Definition of kraal in English:
1A traditional African village of huts, typically enclosed by a fence.
- They said that if money came to our kraals and our abodes, singing would no longer help our children and our wives sleep.
- So at dusk I was led to a kraal where an extended Masai family greeted me with great hospitality and a selection of decorative beaded goods.
- Phillip then moved the two children to his own Mother's kraal and he paid a substantial sum to the family of his wife for this right - otherwise they might have taken the children themselves.
1.1 another term for homestead (sense 3).
1.2An enclosure for cattle or sheep.
- The kraal for the cattle was not only suitable to us but to the hyenas as well.
- I cannot put the cattle back into the kraal so early in the day!
- Villages are centered on a cattle pen called a kraal, or a community building.
verb[with object] Back to top
Drive (cattle or sheep) into an enclosure: they kraal their sheep every night
More example sentences
- 24 cattle from this farm have been kraaled on Wallasey (next door) until the owner of the cattle pays compensation.
- We responded to losses by jackal predation by changing to an indigenous breed (Damaras flock better than Dorpers and resist predators better), bringing heavily pregnant ewes in to a safe camp, and kraaling our animals at night.
- Already with portable electric fencing we will be kraaling the cattle overnight on the croplands to improve fertility of the lands.
Dutch, from Portuguese curral (see corral).
Words that rhyme with kraalAmal, Arles, banal, Barisal, Basle, Bhopal, Carl, chorale, corral, dhal, entente cordiale, Escorial, farl, femme fatale, Funchal, gayal, gnarl, halal, Karl, locale, marl, morale, musicale, Pascal, pastorale, procès-verbal, Provençal, rationale, real, rial, riyal, snarl, Taal, Taj Mahal, timbale, toile, Vaal, Vidal, Waal
Definition of kraal in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.