- 1An orangelike fruit related to the citruses, with an edible sweet rind and acid pulp. It is eaten raw or used in preserves.More example sentences
- It went nicely with hazelnut ice cream, or poached kumquats, or even a dribbling of sabayon.
- For pudding there was ice cream and a selection of fruit including kumquats - small Chinese oranges.
- Consider adding whole lemons, limes, oranges, grapefruits and even kumquats to main courses as they cook.
- 2The eastern Asian shrub or small tree that yields the kumquat.
More example sentences
- Genus Fortunella, family Rutaceae
- As the official Xinhua news agency described the scene: ‘The banquet hall, decked out with blooming narcissus and fruit-bearing kumquats, was full of cheers and laughter.’
late 17th century: from Chinese (Cantonese dialect) kam kwat 'little orange'.
More definitions of kumquatDefinition of kumquat in:
- The British & World English dictionary