Definition of kyphosis in English:
Excessive outward curvature of the spine, causing hunching of the back. Compare with lordosis.
- Patients with postural kyphosis can generally correct the kyphosis by making a conscious effort to do so.
- The symptoms of kyphosis may resemble other spinal conditions or deformities, or may be a result of an injury or infection.
- Kyphosis is a progressive disorder that can affect children or adults in the thoracic or cervical spine.
- Example sentences
- Vertebroplasty makes no attempt to restore height and correct the kyphotic deformity which results from an osteoporotic compression fracture.
- However, having said that, I remember reading about whether their doctor would correct the kyphotic curve in addition to the scoliosis.
- If asked to lift up both hands, this person will sink into a posterior pelvic tilt and kyphotic seated position, in an attempt to maintain sitting balance.
Mid 19th century: from Greek kuphōsis, from kuphos 'bent, hunchbacked'.
Definition of kyphosis in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.