Definition of labyrinth in English:
- But they say that the inhabitants on Prangli do not know of any labyrinths on their island.
- The original center piece has been removed and other areas of the labyrinth have been restored.
- And of course, there is considerably more concerning the labyrinths of the Cathedrals of Northern France.
- The few seemingly simple slips of paper turn out to be a confusing labyrinth of coupons, even if colour coordinated.
- This is a place of high anxiety, a labyrinth where the protagonists become so confused by being mistaken for someone else that insanity threatens.
- The likely result of this is a labyrinth of intricate employment and childcare arrangements that families may find harder to juggle, not easier.
- These fusions divide the bony labyrinth into two chambers called scala vestibuli and scala tympani.
- The last part contains the portion of the membranous labyrinth that is involved in hearing perception.
- Within each semicircular canal of the bony labyrinth is a semicircular canal of the membranous labyrinth.
- The neuromast organs of the lateral line are similar the receptors in the labyrinth.
- In both species several layers of transfer cells are found on both sides of the placenta, with sporophytic transfer cells exhibiting prominent wall labyrinths.
- Thus the antennal glands of the lobster possess active ion exchange capabilities starting in late embryos, based on the presence of ionocytes in the labyrinth and the bladder.
The word was first used to refer to the mythological maze constructed by the Greek craftsman Daedalus for King Minos of Crete to house the Minotaur, a creature half-man half-bull. It comes from Greek laburinthos. By the early 17th century it was being used both for mazes in landscaped gardens and for something intricately complicated.
- Example sentences
- A labyrinthian plot and a labyrinthian chase make this one of the best thrillers of the year.
- In one of these pieces concrete labyrinthian housing blocks replace the green slopes of Puncak, a favorite mountain retreat for Jakartans.
- Of course, hoofing your way through a labyrinthian furniture store in search of that perfect chair can also be about as much fun as dental surgery without drugs.
Words that rhyme with labyrinthCorinth • jacinth
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.