Definition of lacquer tree in English:
An eastern Asian tree with white sap that turns dark on exposure to air, producing a hard-wearing varnish traditionally used in lacquerware.
- Rhus verniciflua, family Anacardiaceae
- Lacquer is gathered from lacquer trees which are over 10 years of age and are over 10 cm in diameter.
- One lacquer tree yields only about one cup of raw lacquer during the half-year collection period.
- The loss of the lacquer trees is one of the reasons that the traditional art of lacquerware-making has almost ceased.
Definition of lacquer tree in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.