Definition of lactation in English:
1The secretion of milk by the mammary glands.
- Mammary glands during lactation were excised from two swh/swh and two swh / + females on the day of their delivery.
- Such features may vary according to whether the patient was pregnant, lactating, or had recently terminated her pregnancy or lactation at the time of surgical excision.
- From here it was an easy step for early modern suspicion to extend to all female bodily fluids: tears, menstruation, lactation.
1.1The suckling of young.
- Studies of captive lorises have shown that after a female has given birth, the demands of lactation and raising an infant may keep her from mating again for ten to fourteen months.
- When a mother or an infant is hospitalized, lactation should be continued if possible.
- Major demands are placed on the mother by the fetus for calcium during pregnancy and by the infant during lactation.
mid 17th century: from Latin lactatio(n-), from lactare 'suckle', from lac, lact- 'milk'.
- Example sentences
- Abundant breast lobules were present in the adjacent breast tissue in all cases in this subgroup, but these showed little evidence of active lactational change.
- The longer the breastfeeding period, the longer the possibility of lactational amenorrhoea - the time when a women is unlikely to be ovulating and therefore to get pregnant.
- All normal and benign biopsy specimens, with the exception of the 2 lactational adenomas, showed varying numbers of positive epithelial cells and lymphocytes.
Definition of lactation in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan