(also lady's slipper)
- An orchid of north temperate regions, the flower of which has a lip that is a conspicuous slipper-shaped pouch.
More example sentences
- Genus Cypripedium, family Orchidaceae: several species, in particular the large-pouched showy lady’s-slipper (C. reginae), with bicolored (white and rose) flowers, and the pink lady’s-slipper (C. acaule), with a deeply cleft dark pink or (rarely) white pouch
- The North American pink lady's slipper orchid flowers during the springtime flight of the queen bumblebee.
- Among the natural wonders that should be protected are stag beetles, and ramshorn snails; habitats including salt meadows and oak woods; and rare plants such as the lady's slipper orchid.
- In early spring, the park is blanketed with wildflowers, including violets, may apples, spring beauties, and lady's slipper orchids.