Definition of landsman in English:
1 (plural landsmen) A person unfamiliar with the sea or sailing.
- He glanced over at Cyril as he spoke, glad to see that the landsman was still standing straighter than usual.
- He was no seaman, yet those vessels looked too flimsy to his landsman's eye.
- On page 381 he writes of the French putting to sea with full crews; in fact, the crews consisted largely of untrained landsmen.
2A fellow countryman.
- We have observed how badly the democratic process has served the landsmen and prefer to operate as free agents.
- Pete's young landsman, Abrams, emerges from the pre-Civil War gang world, to Civil War battle.
- The criteria for distribution and settlement tended to be based on the availability of unskilled jobs, proximity to landsmen, and the decision of the sending agent as to which port in the United States the immigrant should be sent.
Definition of landsman in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan