Definition of languor in English:
- The hedonistic pleasures of languor and warmth - going lightly dressed, swimming in balmy seas at dusk, talking and drinking under the stars - are just as appealing.
- There's an enormous tension between indolence and languor.
- The windswept Yorkshire hills, the terraced houses, dappled woods and shadowy interiors, help convey a warm summer languor.
- The sea breezes, the tropical languor, that old susegad, had conspired to make Goa an oriental fleshpot.
- Sometimes both the languor and the silence are overdone.
- Everything seems to billow, there are clouds of this and drifts of that, totally in harmony with the languor of a drowsy summer day.
Middle English: via Old French from Latin, from languere (see languish). The original sense was 'illness, disease, distress', later 'faintness, lassitude'; current senses date from the 18th century, when such lassitude became associated with a sometimes rather self-indulgent romantic yearning.
- Example sentences
- Leisure conspired with the languorous climate to the spinning of dreams.
- It's so much easier to be languorous and inactive when it's hot.
- For the last two years, it has been conducted with much fanfare in a carnival atmosphere, and it has attracted young people unlikely to be otherwise interested in the leisurely, and apparently languorous, world of cricket.
- Example sentences
- A no-frills bible of basic cooking, but not an idiot's guide, which makes the most of budget-priced food to wolf down rather than linger languorously over the flavours.
- Just ahead, several yellow-headed vultures formed a mourning party, and as we got closer, they flapped languorously into the air.
- Brushing away the crumbs left behind from my feast, stretching languorously as I look about my surroundings, I see doors that lead to places unknown.
Words that rhyme with languoranger, clangour (US clangor), Katanga, manga, panga, sangar, tanga, Tauranga, Zamboanga
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.