noun (plural same or fishes)
- A deep-sea fish that has organs on its body that emit light, seen chiefly when it rises to the surface at night.
More example sentences
- Family Myctophidae: several genera and species
- Midwater species, such as lanternfishes, hatchetfishes and dragonfishes have rows of lights along the underside of the body, probably for mating and identification as well as foraging.
- The Galaxoidea, in turn, are paraphyletic and contain the Stomiiformes (lanternfishes) which are often regarded as part of the Stenopterygii.
- Ayres found a lanternfish at Old Man's Harbor ‘rolled and chafed by the tide’ on 31 October 1841.