noun (plural same or Laos /louz/)
1A member of an indigenous people of Laos and northeastern Thailand.
- He has built reliquaries and other religious monuments indiscriminately in areas inhabited by many Tai-speaking groups (Northern Thai, Lue, Lao, Khoen and Shan).
- Ricebowl is a phrase used to describe people of Asian origin, Indians, Cambodians, Lao, Thais, Vietnamese, Chinese, et cetera.
- The descendants of the people of Nanchao make up the modern day Shan, Lao and Thai.
2The Tai language of the Lao, closely related to Thai. Also called Laotian.
- It is distantly related to Cantonese and other Chinese dialects, and closely related to Lao and Thai.
- Because of the pattern of males leaving the village to work in cities or in northern Thailand for a few years, men are more likely to speak a national language like Thai or Lao.
- That would be no problem for ours who all speak two languages - Thai and Lao!
Relating to the Lao or their language.
- As such, she assists in promoting Lao culture, language, and arts through classes and support services.
- The Lao government worries that Lao language and culture is being corrupted by the popularity of these programs and that youth are learning the wrong values from the commercialism of Thailand.
- That aside, conversation with these young monks, keen to brush up on their English, can give the tourist a unique insight into Lao culture - and in most cases their intentions are wholly genuine, if not genuinely holy.
The name in Lao.
Words that rhyme with Laoallow, avow, Bilbao, Bissau, bough, bow, bow-wow, brow, cacao, chow, ciao, cow, dhow, Dow, endow, Foochow, Frau, Hangzhou, Hough, how, Howe, kowtow, Liao, Macao, Macau, miaow, Mindanao, mow, now, ow, Palau, plough (US plow), pow, prow, row, scow, Slough, sough, sow, Tao, thou, vow, wow, Yangshao
Definition of Lao in:
Entry from British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.