- A fade-out of a scene in a movie that overlaps with a fade-in of a new scene, so that one appears to dissolve into the other.More example sentences
- Kolker writes, ‘The lap dissolve is conventionally used to signify a lapse of time or a change of place.’
- Special effects are somewhat lightweight - just a lot of smoke and a lap dissolve to show Dracula having transformed into the Chinese high priest.
- A book with chapter divisions, a lap dissolve in a movie, a fade-out on a record - all are metafictional; i.e., not only are they patently neither life nor a barroom anecdote nor a campfire sing, but they aren't even trying to appear to be.
More definitions of lap dissolveDefinition of lap dissolve in:
- The British & World English dictionary