Definition of lapwing in English:
A large plover, typically having a black and white head and underparts and a loud call.
- Genus Vanellus, family Charadriidae: several species, in particular the northern lapwing (V. vanellus) of Eurasia (also called green plover or pewit), which has a dark green back and a crest
- So why cannot hen harriers, sparrowhawks and goshawks be controlled to protect lapwings, curlews, golden plovers and, yes, pheasants and grouse?
- The development of this wildlife site is ongoing with new hides to aid the study and photography of shelduck, dunlin, lapwing, golden plover and shoveller duck that have recently bred on Mangan's Lough.
- The moorland blaze has come at a bad time for ground-nesting birds such as golden plovers, curlews, lapwings and merlins, a rare bird of prey.
Words that rhyme with lapwingtime-serving • waxwing
Definition of lapwing in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.