Definition of latent in English:
1(Of a quality or state) existing but not yet developed or manifest; hidden; concealed: discovering her latent talent for diplomacy
More example sentences
- By the twentieth century the investigations of cognitive psychology had established creativity as a latent quality in every person, applicable to any field of human endeavour.
- If you'll excuse me, I have to go tell my wife and children about my latent homosexual qualities and accompanying gender confusion.
- This would release humankind from the drudgery of wage-slavery and release the latent talents of 3 billion people.
1.1 Biology (Of a bud, resting stage, etc.) lying dormant or hidden until circumstances are suitable for development or manifestation.
- Cell proliferation and cell fate are controlled from dividing cell division centres (called meristems) or latent pluripotent stem cells within the cambium or pericycle.
- In grapevine, the current season's growth consists of shoots growing from latent buds produced during the previous cycle and made up of five to nine phytomers.
- In spring, when the plant is removed from winter storage, one to three branches will grow from the latent buds beneath the cuts.
1.2(Of a disease) in which the usual symptoms are not yet manifest.
- Elimination of tuberculosis in industrialized nations hinges on diagnosis and treatment of latent tuberculosis infection to prevent disease.
- Before initiating treatment of latent tuberculosis infection, physicians must ensure that active disease is not present.
- Very little is known regarding the usefulness of pyrazinamide and levofloxacin in the treatment of multidrug-resistant latent tuberculosis infection.
1.3(Of a microorganism, especially a virus) present in the body without causing disease, but capable of doing so at a later stage or when transmitted to another body.
- First, they stimulated the T-cells strongly enough to prompt the cell to express latent virus but not to trigger other cellular functions.
- Herpes zoster ophthalmicus occurs when reactivation of the latent virus in the trigeminal ganglia involves the ophthalmic division of the nerve.
- Herpes zoster results from reactivation of latent varicella zoster virus infection.
- Example sentences
- Each Loss Leader is divinely packaged, having been designed at no little expense by our latently talented art department.
- The authors conclude that continuous exposure to varicella virus through community contacts protects latently infected adults from developing clinical shingles.
- A person may remain latently infected and harbor the bacteria, in a non-growing or slow-growing form, for decades with no symptoms.
Words that rhyme with latentblatant
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan