Definition of lateralize in English:
1(Of the brain) show laterality.
- Their opinion was that negative emotions are more lateralized in the brain because they are associated with survival mechanisms.
- This has led to the hypothesis that this treatment may be helpful in dampening that lateralized hyperexcitability.
- Males showed right lateralized activation in the more difficult spatial tasks and bilateral activation across all spatial tasks, whereas females showed less activation in both levels of the task.
1.1 [with adverbial] (Of an organ, function, or activity) be largely under the control of one side of the brain: this is a function that is usually lateralized on the right
More example sentences
- Studies that demand this kind of hemispheric competition have revealed that control over voluntary attention seems to be preferentially lateralized to the left hemisphere.
- Example sentences
- But the evidence suggests that some animals favor one side for certain tasks - a phenomenon known as lateralization.
- The study's findings are provocative but not conclusive, say researchers on brain lateralization, giftedness and mathematics education.
- Among children, the 1990s saw the emergence of new theories of intellectual development, and patterns of cerebral lateralization in the maturing child.
Pronunciation: /ˌlatərəliˈzāshən, ˌlatrə-, -ˌlīˈzā/noun
Definition of lateralize in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan