Definition of lateralize in English:
1(Of the brain) show laterality.
- Their opinion was that negative emotions are more lateralized in the brain because they are associated with survival mechanisms.
- This has led to the hypothesis that this treatment may be helpful in dampening that lateralized hyperexcitability.
- Males showed right lateralized activation in the more difficult spatial tasks and bilateral activation across all spatial tasks, whereas females showed less activation in both levels of the task.
1.1 [with adverbial] (Of an organ, function, or activity) be largely under the control of one side of the brain: this is a function that is usually lateralized on the right
More example sentences
- Studies that demand this kind of hemispheric competition have revealed that control over voluntary attention seems to be preferentially lateralized to the left hemisphere.
- Example sentences
- But the evidence suggests that some animals favor one side for certain tasks - a phenomenon known as lateralization.
- The study's findings are provocative but not conclusive, say researchers on brain lateralization, giftedness and mathematics education.
- Among children, the 1990s saw the emergence of new theories of intellectual development, and patterns of cerebral lateralization in the maturing child.
Definition of lateralize in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.